Grosse Pointe Symphony Orchestra Society
Committee Duties and Responsibilities : 2006-2007
Publicity and Marketing
- The Committee is responsible for all efforts to advertise the existence of the GPSO, regular program concerts, contributions to the community, availability for additional concerts.
- GPSO web site - Oversight is the responsibility of the committee.
- Grosse Pointe Chamber of Commerce – The committee will discuss upcoming chamber functions and determine/ arrange for participation. Current liason to Chamber (recognized by the Chamber) is Dick McClelland.
- Concert Poster and flyers - The committee will design, arrange for printing and distribution of posters and flyers. Current printer will help with design.
- Advertising is the responsibility of the Committee, which may include traditional periodicals such as the Grosse Pointe papers, the Chamber of Commerce, WRCJ radio (which provides announcement of upcoming non-profit concerts) and TV-5.
Chair: Jeanne Salatial
Members: Dick McClelland, Lynn Hadley Bacon
- Concert Program – The committee is responsible for the preparation, printing and distribution of the concert program. Jack du Bois will continue to provide program notes for inclusion in the program. Deb Defore is assigned the computer generation of the program, under the guidance of the Committee, and delivery to the printing contractor.
- Venue – The committee is responsible to arrange for the concert hall
- Ushers - The Committee will arrange for concert ushers.
- The Committee will assign a House Manager to coordinate with the school administration and the building engineer.
- The House Manager will be responsible to see that doors are unlocked.
- The House Manager will ensure that house lights are managed before, during, and at the conclusion of the concert.
- The House Manager will ensure that movement of the piano, during the concert, is manned.
- The Committee will arrange for requested stage props and decorations (ex. American Flag for patriotic theme).
- The Committee will arrange for concert venues.
Chair: Terese Edelstein
- The Committee will recommend to the Board, the program for the upcoming concert year. The Committee will recommend conductors and soloists.
- The chair may invite the Conductor Emeritus and the Player Representative to participate. The Player Representative and the Conductor Emeritus may advise on scores that may or may not be advantageous to the current orchestra membership.
- The Committee will consider the program for the year following the current performance year. The Committee will consider past programs. Historical data is available from the chair, Archives Committee.
- The Chair will deliver to the Board, a written and oral report at, or prior to, the last Board meeting of the concert season. The Committee will draft necessary contracts for approval by the Board.
- The Committee is responsible for the execution of the Nestor Scholarship competition. Members of the orchestra may be solicited as judges, through the Player Representative.
- The Nestor Scholarship winner will be programmed for a concert in the following concert season.
Chair: Angie Gaabo
Members: Bill Hulsker, Dick McClelland
- The Fund Raising Committee has two sub-committees:
- Grants, Foundations and Large-Scale Donors – The main efforts may include preparation and submission of grant proposals and the solicitation of known, high potential orchestra supporters.
- Events, Advertising, Season Tickets –The Committee may arrange for fund-raising events. Volunteer wind or string ensembles may be solicited from the orchestra.
- Successful fund-raising events that should be considered are:
- Circle of Musical Chairs
No chair designated
- The Board of Directors will determine committee membership.
- The Committee will solicit volunteers from the Community (including the current board) and prepare the slate for the election of officers at the first board meeting of the following year.
Archives and Historical Records
Chair: Dick McClelland
- The Committee will maintain records that provide a comprehensive record of the concert season. This will include, as a minimum, posters, flyers, programs, board meeting minutes, newspaper articles.
- At the end of the concert season, archives will be delivered to the Grosse Pointe Historical Society.
Tickets and Membership management
Chair: Jeanne Salathiel
- The Committee will design, arrange for printing, deliver to the concert hall, sell tickets.
- Tickets will be provided to the Grosse Pointe Chamber for inclusion in new-resident welcome packages.
- Tickets will be provided to the Player Representative for distribution to orchestra members.